Monday, June 8, 2015

Essay 1 Draft 3




Junior College Misconceptions
            As a student attending Long Beach City College, I am all too familiar with the negative response you get when you say you attend LBCC instead of California State University, Long Beach. Though subtle, it is usually evident through their reaction that they have already made a judgment about you, usually with a negative edge, simply because of the fact that you attend a Junior College. Many think that community college is for those that did not do well in high school, and/or those that do not apply themselves to their education. There are common misconceptions about both the education received at a community college, as well as the students that attend it. In reality, many of the classes and professors are the same at a JC as they are at a university. Also, because a student chooses to attend a community college does not mean they are less intelligent, or do any worse in school than those at a university. On top of all that, community college is more economically viable for most people. While many people believe attending a university is always better, in reality a junior college offers the same courses for general requirements, is more economically viable, and is the option many intelligent students choose.
            The first two years of college, no matter where you go, are often spent completing general education requirements that are necessary for obtaining a degree. They may or may not count towards your major, but they must be taken. This includes basic courses of English, science, social science, mathematics, the arts, and physical education. While without a doubt, higher level courses and programs that are major-oriented are only offered at universities, the exact same lower level general education courses that are offered at that university are offered at your local community college. In fact, often times professors will teach both at a four-year university, and at a community college. Once the general education units and GPA requirements are met at a community college, a student can transfer those credits to a four-year university, and start as a junior. On graduation day when you receive your degree, nowhere on it does it say that you attended a community college. You receive the same degree as everyone else who attended that university since their freshmen year. Not only can you meet the same course requirements that you would your first two years at a university, but this gives those that need it extra time to decide on a major and a school to pursue after two years, as well as save some money.
            When it comes to money, community college is clearly the more economic choice. While tuition varies from school to school, it is never cheap. While many state colleges can offer relatively affordable tuition to state citizens, it is still much more than the cost of community college. If you want to attend a private or out-of-state university, you can expect to pay A LOT of money for tuition. I pay less than $1000 a semester for community college, while relatively inexpensive state schools can cost upwards of $10,000. Often times students are forced to take out loans, and go into debt just to make it through college. By the time they graduate, this debt can be quite substantial. On top of tuition, there are living expenses. This includes rent, utilities, food, textbooks, and day-to-day expenses. Many students have to hold a part-time job throughout college, just to help pay for these expenses. Managing a full time school schedule, as well as a job is exhausting, and leaves little time for anything else. Community college tuition is a fraction of the cost of a university, and with financial aid and other programs is affordable on most any budget. Also, most community college attendees live at home, and commute to school. This in most cases takes away the cost of living expenses. With a substantially lower cost of tuition and living, students and their families are given the opportunity to save money, and plan for the future. In the end, transferring to a university from a community college can almost cut your overall expenses in half. I live at home, and have been able to save money for when I plan to transfer to California State University, Long Beach. In tough economic times, and for students/families that are on a budget or just want to save some money, this is a great option.       
During the fall of my senior year in high school I was faced with the ordeal of college applications. At this point in time I had no idea where I was going to end up, and to be completely honest I didn’t really care much.  I applied to California State University, Long Beach and was accepted. It was at this point I really had to weigh my options, and take into consideration the many factors that would play into where I wanted to pursue my education and in essence my future for the next several years. While the majority of my friends were excited about committing to various four-year universities, I was leaning more towards the path of staying local, and enrolling in a nearby community college. The deadline to commit to CSULB passed, and I sealed my fate. When graduation day finally came, I  finished my senior year with straight A’s, achieved a score of 1720 on the SAT, and graduated high school on principal’s honor roll with cumulative 3.8  grade point average. I received my award of merit (given to students for completing necessary courses to attend a Cal State or UC out of high school), my Eagle Scout award, and varsity letter in baseball. On top of this, and perhaps most importantly, I was well respected by my peers and teachers, and considered one of the more intellectual and intelligent of my friend group. Now despite what you are probably thinking, I am not telling you this to make myself look good, or boast my accomplishments. I am simply trying to clarify my biggest grievance on the subject of junior college misconceptions. To make it clear, just because you attend a community college does not mean you are any less studious, intellectual, intelligent, hardworking, or successful than someone who attends a university. To be honest, I know a lot of people who attend community college that are much smarter than some of the people I know who attend big four year schools.
Being a student at Long Beach City College, I am familiar and accustomed to these misconceptions. It is my hope however, that these misconceptions can be made clear, and that the negative connotation that is too often associated with community college will cease to exist. You should not have to feel shameful or embarrassed when you tell people you attend community college, as this reaction only affirms the misconceptions. Be confident and have pride when you speak about community college, and do not hesitate to inform others and discredit these junior college misconceptions that run rampant through our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment